Thursday 1 March 2012

How I discovered cycling and got into womens bike racing

I first discovered the sport watching my Uncle racing in the Newport Nocturne. Followed by my brother racing mountain bikes and road, passing endless water bottles! I then hung up my running shoes and converted from cross country/athletics to cycling.

I joined my local club of which runs through 3 generations in my family, Stan's/Paramount CRT and started riding a road bike. I had caught the cycling bug! With Halesowen just down the road, I thought i'd try my hand at track cycling. At first I couldn't quite get my head round a bike WITHOUT BRAKES!! However I soon took to it and I started competing in local circuit races and track leagues. The enjoyment from the racing and training made me want to do more, I loved it!

I then joined Halesowen due to there being younger riders around my age and over the next couple of years started racing the National women's road series, National women's track omniums and did a couple of races in Belgium. It was a great experience racing with International riders.

This winter I've been braving the cold training long miles, turbo and roller sessions and circuit training sessions. I am very excited to be riding for Maxgear this year, being part of a women's team racing and looking forward to the challenges along the way. Can't wait to meet you all!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment